The Royal Hotel was probably moved from Craiglie to Mossman about 1892 by Fred Jensen who named it the Royal Hotel.
Its first licence to M. Scanlan is dated 1898. Other licensees were Christina Black 1899; Mary Pringle 1903; Patrick Joyce 1904; C Jensen 1907-1910.
Christian Frederick Jensen,the proprietor began an Aeriated Water (soft drink) business out the back about 1905.
Both businesses were continued by the family after Fred was killed in 1921, falling from a gaslight pole in Front Street.
The Royal was single storey and raised on stumps about a metre off the ground. There were water troughs and hitching rails outside for the horses. Te Royal was the only pub in Mossman that had bat wing doors
In February 1931 it burnt down, probably when Fred’s son Lennie owned it and Joe Aldridge was the licensee. Times were tough and so it was probably for insurance purposes. There was no fire brigade and the water pressure from hoses wasn’t strong.
The young yardman came home after the pictures and saw a flame in the kitchen. He went to the woodheap to get an axe to break the door down and in the dark Joe said ‘Come away you silly bugger, there’s ten gallons of petrol in there’.
The Royal was rebuilt in 1932 as a two-storey hotel from chamferboard, with red cedar upstairs. Mr Baio was the licensee. The Royal and Exchange both had large wooden verandahs and external stairs.
The new Royal Hotel had a carbide plant that made acetylene gas that was used for lights before electricity came in 1938.
While still owned by descendents of the Jensen family, the Royal surrendered its licence in 2007.
A Melbourne businessman bought it in November 2009 who intended to make it into shops, but the development did not start.
Follow the Douglas Shire Historical Society on Facebook or go to the website